Tuesday 3 July 2007

to commemorate my 30th


Today I am 30...
Today I am 30
Finally.
Finally.
30 is my ticket.
30 is what I've been waiting for.
30 is a cloak of confidence
I get to wear for the rest of my life...
30 is the pair of 3-D glasses
that allows me to see
beyond the omnipresent
apathy of those who
surround me.
It's freedom.
It's legitimacy....
I'm not married.
I don't have a baby.
I hear no ticking clock.
I've been digital since 1984.
All those things that I was supposed
to accomplish by the time I was 30
are not accomplished.
So I no longer have to worry
about the agenda someone else handed to me.
I'm no longer on any agenda.
Today I am 30
and the only responsibility I have
is myself.
My sanity.
My integrity.
My health.
My peace of mind.
My acute and unerring perceptions.
An enormous responsibility to be sure,
but mine and mine alone.
I am a fully responsible adult.
Because today I am 30.
Not a bad place to be actually.
After all, how many people can say:
Today I am 30 and
today I am free.

Adapted from Anita Liberty's 'How to Heal the Hurt by Hating'.

No comments: